Wall-hugger recliners are a perfect addition to any small space. More than that, they’re great if you want reclining furniture that doesn’t take up too much space in your home.
It’s ideal for tiny homes, small spaces, minimalist rooms, and generally anyone who wants to save space.
Wall hugging recliners come by every once in a while.
However, not all of the recliners are ergonomic or comfortable.
In this article, I’ll be sharing seven of the best wall hugger recliners in the market. I’ve looked at numerous wall recliners reviews and compared them to my own experience and thoughts.
Here’s what I’ve found:
- 1. Set of 2 RecPro Charles Collection – #1 Best Overall
- 2. Best Home ProLounger LYA
- 3. Generic Deluxe Power Lift Heated Vibrating Massage Recliner
- 4. ProLounger Wall Hugger Recliner by Handy Living
- 5. RecPro Charles Collection Double Recliner RV Sofa
- 6. Domesis Renu Leather Power Lift Chair Recliner
- 7. Lane Home Furnishings Wallsaver
Best Wall Hugger Recliner (Updated for 2020)
Wall-hugger recliners should be at the top of your list if you want to save floor space. However, not all wall recliner units are safe and reliable.
That’s why I’ve compiled seven of the best wall-hugging recliners on the market. Choose one, but the best for me is what we’ll get into first.
1. Set of 2 RecPro Charles Collection – #1 Zero Clearance Recliner
This set of two RecPro recliners makes it easy to fill up a home theater or provide a reliable seating arrangement for your living room. It comes in four color choices and unibody construction that ensures a seamless design on your recliner chair.
Take a look at this recliner’s best features:
Lightweight – this recliner features a lightweight construction that makes it easy for you to move it around by yourself. At only 88 lbs per chair, you can easily reposition it anywhere you like in your home.
Comfort-Oriented Faux Leather – you’ll enjoy the comfortable faux leather upholstery on this recliner set. It’s easy to clean and is built to last daily use for many years, making it one of the ideal seating arrangements for a living space.
Modern Style – this recliner boasts a unibody design that connects your head rest directly to your leg rest. This adds to the sleek style of it that can blend in with any decor.
Summary: This set of two recliners is the best in my opinion, simply because it’s a no-fuss purchase. It’s built to last, perfect for tiny homes, RVs, living spaces and home theaters. Unfortunately, if you encounter a problem with these, you’d best hope for the best ad the return process is quite unfortunate.
2. Best Home ProLounger LYA
This wall hugger power lift chair is ideal for users who suffer from limited mobility. This could mean the elderly, people with disabilities, pregnant women or you when your body feels dead after working so much.
Jokes aside, this ProLounger comes with the following great features:
Automatic Controls – you don’t have to exert effort to get your chair to recline. Additionally, it’s very easy to control. The power lift is reliable and easy to use, as well.
Three Recline Positions – choose between three reclining positions that would best suit your activity. Whether it’s working, watching tv, or just relaxing, your chair will recline to meet your needs.
Maximum Comfort – this recliner is filled with high-density foam cushions that increase your comfort. It gives a slight bounce without feeling too plush and unsupportive.
Summary: This power lift recliner features user-friendly and easy to understand controls. However, the upholstery is quite slippery and it is made of particle board so you need to make sure you exercise caution when using it.
3. Generic Deluxe Power Lift Heated Vibrating Massage Recliner
Massage recliners are in no way a new discovery. That’s why it should come as no surprise that I’m listing a space-efficient massage recliner. The Generic Deluxe not only features heat therapy, but it also vibrates to maximize your comfort and wellness.
Take a look at its best features:
Convenience – this massage recliner features two cup holders and four pockets for easy access and ultimate convenience. This allows you to store magazines or your tv’s remote close by and snack while you relax.
Low Maintenance – you’ll enjoy this easy to clean and low maintenance massage recliner thanks to its PU leather cushioning. The high quality faux leather is soft to the touch and looks luxurious as well.
Summary: This massage recliner is ideal if you want a total wellness unit. It gently targets eight massage zones to help ease your body’s tension. However, it’s not as good as a real massage recliner. It’s a worthy basic unit though.
4. ProLounger Wall Hugger Recliner by Handy Living
This wall hugger recliner features plush microfiber upholstery that is more breathable compared to renu leather. It is also designed to be oversized to maximize your comfort.
Take a look at its best features:
Stain Resistant – you may think microfiber upholstery is harder to clean and maintain compared to PU leather. In a way, you’re right. However, this unit features a 100% stain-resistant fabric that makes it easy to clean and maintain.
Easy Assembly – the manufacturer guarantees that you will only need to spend 15 minutes to assemble and install this unit. That means you’ll reap the rewards of this ergonomic recliner chair faster.
Summary: Despite needing assembly, you’ll still be able to relax in your recliner in no time. You’ll love the ergonomically plush cushions and low maintenance, breathable microfiber upholstery on this unit.
5. RecPro Charles Collection Double Recliner RV Sofa
Good RV recliners—or furniture for that matter, are hard to come by. That’s why I couldn’t pass up this zero-wall loveseat. It saves a lot of space and can be installed right against the wall.
Here’s what makes it unique:
Modular Capabilities – this modular double recliner chair makes it ideal for tight spaces. It features a removable backrest that you can attach at any time for use or remove when moving it around.
Summary: If you’re on the tall side, you might want to skip this one. Its low-profile design makes it impractical for users over 6 feet. However, you will love its lightweight and modular design that makes it eady to move around and fit into tight spaces without sacrificing its recline function.
6. Domesis Renu – Leather Wall Gugger Power Lift Recliner
This power lift recliner is plush and comfortable. It’s an ideal option if you want something that feels more cozy and warm. It also comes in four colors so you know it will fit into any room’s design,
Take a look at the feature that caught my eye:
Two-Button Controls – this handy recliner has the most practical controls I’ve ever seen. It utilizes only two buttons to avoid confusion. Recline or lift, it’s easy to understand and easy to use.
Summary: This power recliner is not very balanced. So if you’re using the power lift feature, you will need to exercise caution as there is a high risk of tipping. Otherwise, you’ll love the no nonsense design and features.
7. Lane Home Furnishings Wallsaver
And finally, the last recliner on my list: the Lane Home Furnishings Wallsaver. You’ll love the classic big and tall design on this recliner. It functions as well as any other recliner.
But this is the feature that caught my eye the most:
Cradle Seating – this recliner is designed to conform to the contours of your body. This means it feels very secure and comfortable. It will feel like your chair is giving you a warm hug every time you sit in it.
Summary: If you’re looking for a comfort king recliner, this is the best choice for you. It can easily handle up to 500 lbs. Unfortunately, it is quite bulky and some users have reported a squeaking noise when reclining. Other than that, you’ll enjoy the zero gravity recline feature as well as the plush suede fabric that covers the entirety of this recliner.
Not in this review:
- Flash Furniture Signature Design by Ashley Cork Zero Wall Recliner
- Eshion Wall Hugger Microfiber Recliner
How Do Wall Hugger Recliners Work?
Wall hugger recliners work through a special mechanism that slides the chair forward as you recline. Think of it kind of like a smooth gliding motion forward as your chair leans back.
Because of this, it’s important to look for a few things when choosing a wall hugger recliner to ensure a safe and comfortable transition between reclining positions.
- Steadiness – you have to make sure your recliner is steady. If it wobbles, you might have trouble with the machine functioning properly. This could lead to potential damage to the reclining or gliding mechanism and would potentially cause harm to you and your recliner chair.
- Sturdy Construction – you do not want to accidentally tip over while reclining. This happens a lot of times with space-saving recliners that aren’t built with durability in mind. Multiple uses usually lead to the deterioration of your unit. However, a recliner made with poor craftsmanship deteriorates as quickly as you’ve bought it. This means you’re likely to encounter snags during transition or abrupt halts when reclining.
- Smooth and Secure Glide – now, I know it’s pretty much common knowledge that a smooth glide is an ideal option. However, if your gliding motion is too smooth, you could potentially get hurt. For example, if your chair glides back too quickly, you’ll likely recline with a sudden jolt that could:
- Tip-over your recliner. An abrupt gliding motion could unbalance not only your recliner but you as well.
- Harm your back or other body parts. An abrupt jolting motion could potentially cause more harm to your back than you think.
Summary: Wall hugger recliners or space-saving recliners are designed to glide forward while you recline to save some much-needed floor space or prevent a room from getting too cluttered. However, it’s important to exercise caution when choosing a wall-hugging recliner. Some units are not designed to ergonomically glide and could pose a number of safety hazards especially to those with limited mobility.
What are Wall Hugger Recliners?
Wall hugger recliners are ideal for smaller spaces or people who simply want to save up on floor space.
Wall recliners have a unique reclining mechanism that allows them to fully recline with little to no clearance from the wall.
This makes them ideal for your living room, any small space, or home theatre. Typically you’ll need about 6 inches of space from your wall to your recliner. However, recent advancements have made it so wall recliners can be installed closer to the walls.
If you’re purchasing a chair from an online retailer like Amazon or Big Lots, it’s important to consider if the manufacturer packages the chair securely. This ensures that your chair isn’t damaged during transit, among other things.
I like to look for a few things when choosing a recliner that requires shipping:
- Assembly – some recliners come assembled or mostly assembled. This not only makes it easier for you to install your unit, but it also ensures that there are fewer parts that need to be accounted for. It also ensures that your recliner is shipped more securely.
- Free Delivery – some companies offer free delivery services. This usually covers curbside delivery, but that gives you more room to opt for white-glove delivery if available.
- White Glove Service – this essentially means your recliner will be installed anywhere you want it. You won’t need to worry about assembling it, moving it, or cleaning up afterward because the company does this for you. Not all companies offer this, but it’s a great option, especially for those with limited mobility.
Usually, recliner companies offer a standard 3 to 5-year limited warranty on parts, labor, and framework. Some companies offer opportunities to increase or extend your warranty.
But generally, a reputable and reliable company and recliner will cover warranty for:
- Factory defective parts and upholstery
- Labor for service repairs and installing replacement parts
- Unstable, defective and broken framework
Final Conclusion. So, Which Model Is The Best?
Ultimately, the Set of two RecPro recliners will give you the most value for your money. It fits into nearly any space you put it in like:
- Tiny Homes
- Small Living Rooms
- Large Living Rooms
- Home Theaters
It also looks elegant and feels very comfortable, so you don’t need to worry about developing body pain if you lounge in it for too long.
It is sold as a set of two, so it will easily fill up any space you put them in. What’s more, is that they’re two separate chairs and not a loveseat so you can decide to put it in the same room or in different places.
There you have it. I’ve listed seven of the best wall-hugger recliners on the market. Some units are definitely more convenient than others. Some also have more special features.
But ultimately, the best for me is the one that had the most value without too many unnecessary functions: the RecPro Charles Collection set.