Back pain is a rising problem in the modern world, especially here in America. If you have this condition, you’ll greatly benefit from a recliner chair.
After all, since we spend most of our day sitting down, it’s not hard to see why getting a good chair will do wonders.
However, not every recliner chair is designed to reduce back pain. Even Orthopedic doctors and Chiropractors will agree that not all recliners are made equal.
So read on and see what type of recliner fits you best!
11 Best Recliners For Back Pain (2021 List & Buying Guide)
If you’re having trouble looking for the right recliner, you’re in luck. We’ve tested the most popular models in the market and whittled them down to the top 11.
And we’ve also listed down their benefits and disadvantages to make your purchasing decisions much easier.
1. Kahuna Massage Chair LM-6800 with Yoga & Heating Therapy – #1 Best Massage Recliner for Back and Neck Pain
Let’s start off strong with the Kahuna Massage chair recliner that features heat therapy. It’s a hybrid L/S seating track that follows your spine’s natural curve, all while giving your glutes and thighs a thorough massage.
Despite its numerous features, all of our testers found the Kahuna reasonably easy to learn and get into. Here are some of our favorite functions:
- 3D Body Scanning creates a massage that suits your body type. This automated function can reposition that seat’s massage rollers to ensure that they hit each one of your pressure points. You also have the option of moving these rollers manually through remote control.
- Air Mode uses airbags to deliver a customizable full-body massage. You can choose between three intensity levels through remote control, and the airbags chosen are very cost-effective.
- You can enjoy different massage options with different techniques and body parts. Here are but a few available to you:
- Kneading Massage
- Combination tapping and needing
- Shiatsu Massage
- Zone Massage
- Regular massage techniques
Aside from these options, you can pick a pre-programmed massage that focuses on a specific area of your body, such as:
- Neck and waist
- Lower back and waist
- Low back, thighs, and glutes
- Neck and glutes
- Mid-Back and glutes
- Foot and calf
- Fixed Spot (massage at a specific point in 6in perimeter)
- Heating function relieves back pain (muscle pain) and improves your blood circulation. The heating elements in this recliner is not just comfortable; it’s also therapeutic. The combined effect of a massage with an adequate amount of heat can help reduce the pain from sore muscles and tendons.
- The body stretch function, as the name suggests, will stretch your body to relieve chronic back pain and hip soreness. This feature will decompress your discs and help reduce the pressure. Some of our testers say that it can take some time to get used to, but the results are well worth it. This might be the best recliner for degenerative disc disease, but with all new products, it’s best to consult a medical professional first.
Summary: The LM-8600 is well worth the extra buck with its beneficial features that are easy to learn. We recommend this recliner if you want to invest in an ergonomic model that will tackle your back pain problem in a variety of ways.
2. La-Z-Boy Anderson Reclina Rocker – Best For Sleeping
Last but not least, Anderson Reclina deserves the final mention for its unique design choices that gives very apparent effects when you use it.
Don’t let its simple looks fool you because underneath it’s plain exterior; it hides a chock full of useful features that improve the seat’s comfort-, support-, and security factor.
- The frame’s special design can provide relief for back pain sufferers. Thi La-Z-Boy chair (more information) also seems to be very durable. One of our users bought an Anderson many months back, and it still functions perfectly as the day it was purchased.
- The patented mechanism feature gives you more options in terms of movement. This function lets you move your recliner’s back and seat move independently or jointly with each other. So you can adjust it into a position that feels more comfortable and natural for you.
- The locking mechanisms give you three different leg rest positions to choose from (excellent for back nad leg pain). These positions let you choose between a reclining, watching, or sitting position depending on your current activity. And all three feels very supported and comfortable.
Summary: The Anderson is an affordable good recliner that boasts plenty of useful design aspects that improve the overall comfort and support of the unit. Comfy recliner for sleeping!
3. Mac Motion Oslo Collection Recliner with Matching Ottoman
Given this Mac Motion model’s unique design, we’ve had high hopes for it. And we must say that it does not disappoint.
The Oslo Leather Recliner is an excellent choice if you want to forego the expensive massage components and go straight to robust, ergonomic features that offer comfort and convenience.
- The main parts of the chair are fully adjustable to suit your size. The headrest, footrest, and lumbar pillow tackle our main problem areas that generally accumulate a lot of muscle tension. By customizing the recliner, you can easily put it in a position that offers the most comfort and relief while removing some of the pressure on your spine.
- The padded cushion molds your body shape for maximum support. It’s made from high-quality foam that feels comfortable even after long hours of sitting. Most of our testers commented that it has the right amount of firmness as well. The foam is covered with grain leather that’s easy to maintain and soft to the touch.
- The swivel base can be rotated at a full 360º that lets you quickly face whichever direction you want. This is by far our most favorite feature because you rarely see this even in most modern recliners, and the way the whole seat is angled allows you to rest your whole body, from top to bottom comfortably.
Summary: We recommend this Oslo Recliner if you’re looking for a unit made with high-quality materials and every essential feature you’d want out of an ergonomic chair.
4. Larkinhurst Traditional Earth Rocker Recliner with Nailhead Trim
For those looking for a rocker-style recliner, you’re in luck. This Larkinhurst combines this classic design with high-quality materials to make for a very comfy chair.
- The weathered leather covering and traditional design will look good in most living spaces. This recliner uses a faux leather material that has a comfortable texture, and its characteristic rolled arms make the whole seat look very cozy.
- The upholstery used offers ample support for your body. It uses a mix of polyurethane and polyester that feels comfortable even after long hours of use.
- Despite its standard size, this seat can hold taller and heavier individuals (250lbs max). The armrests are also wider to accommodate bigger persons, leaving enough room for comfort.
Summary: If you’re looking for a good recliner that will fit the aesthetic of your traditional home while offering excellent back support, the Larkinhurst Traditional Earth Rocker Recliner is a solid choice.
5. Ashley Furniture Yandel Power Lift – Great Recliner with Lumbar Support
The Yandel Recliner uses remote-controlled reclining technology to make things much easier for you. All of our testers loved this simple feature.
After all, manually reclining your seat can be a bit difficult, especially with older units that are heavy and unyielding. Here are a few other features we liked about the Yandel:
- The faux leather covering is comfortable and durable. It’s made from thick, polyester fabric that’s affordable, durable, and easy to maintain. It’s also cool on the skin and doesn’t feel too stuffy. Unlike natural leather, this material isn’t prone to absorbing off-odors and doesn’t wear out easily. So you’re getting a covering that will last you a long time while staying in its original condition.
- The high-backed design gives excellent lumbar support that reaches up to your head and neck. Some recliners only have a mid-backed design that lacks the full support of units like Yandel, but our testers are still divided on their preference. Some note that high-backs give better support, while some say they feel uncomfortable with them.
- The design of this unit is built with durability in mind. For one, the corner-block frames make the seat more durable. These frames will prevent the wooden planks from snapping apart. On top of that, the chair comes reinforced, so you can enjoy this recliner for a long time. One of our testers actually has this model in their home, and it still feels brand new after two years of purchase.
- With just a button touch, you can comfortably recline this seat compared to your conventional recliner. The remote control allows you to quickly transform a stylish couch into a comfortable recliner where you can rest your whole body. However, keep in mind that there’s no backup power, so you need to maintain it if you want to use this feature. You can’t recline (or un-recline) this seat without any power, so it’s a necessity.
Summary: The Yandel Power Recliner makes a good fit for individuals who dislike manually reclining and un-reclining their seats. It’s durable, comfortable, and features a simple design that will look good in most homes.
6. Homelegance Center Hill – Good Bonded Leather Glider Reclining Chair
Homelegance’s recliner is a stylish option that offers comfort and support at a great price. The recliner’s simple earthy colors fit well with both traditional and modern living spaces, so you’ll have no trouble incorporating it in your home.
- The recliner’s build can easily handle up to 300 pounds of weight. With a solid plywood frame combined with metal reinforcements, a wide range of body types can comfortably use this seat. We’ve only had our unit for a few months, but our testers have been using it for most of the day, and it still feels like new.
- The plush seats combined with the covering’s simple colors can easily fit the aesthetic of most rooms. You can choose between a dark-brown or black color, and the seat type is pretty unique for a traditional recliner design.
- The manual reclining mechanism is easy to use. Unlike the powered unit above, you have to recline this seat manually, but it’s not hard to do and doesn’t require a lot of elbow grease. All of our testers have no trouble switching from couch to recliner with just a push or pull of the lever.
- The high-density material gives ample comfort and support. Both reclining positions (sitting and lying down) feel comfortable because of the foam padding. However, the reclining option can only reach a maximum of 75º angle, so it might be too steep for some.
Summary: This Homelegance Recliner doesn’t have a lot of extra bells and whistles, but most people prefer to forego that anyway for a more affordable price. This is an excellent option if you want a simple reclining model that can handle heavier weights while giving comfort and support.
7. La-Z-Boy Duncan Reclina Rocker – Good Orthopedic Recliner
The La-Z Boy recliner is a living room chair for back pain sufferers. It’s combined functionalities and features fully attest to this, as all are geared to relieve your back from as much pressure as possible. Here are some of its notable features:
- The sculpted bucket-type seat gives maximum comfort and support. The recliner cradles itself to your body shape in a way where no pressure points are building up over time, so you can use this recliner for longer periods without feeling uncomfortable.
- The chaise footrest completely gives relief to the lower part of your body. It comes fully padded, and it provides enough support to keep you comfortable even with prolonged use. So it’s perfect for long nights where you want to settle down, and binge-watches some tv or catch up on your reading.
- The handle can be reached easily, even in a reclined and sitting position. You can adjust it in three different locked positions depending on its use. Whether you prefer a watching, reclining, or sitting position, all three are very comfortable.
Summary: This La-Z Boy can be reclined in 3 different ways (sitting, watching, reclining) and have great ergonomic designs that will make sure your whole body is supported regardless of your preferred position.
8. SUNCOO Massage Recliner for Back Problem
If you want another massage recliner that’s built to solve your bad back problems, this SUNCOO model is a solid option.
Much like the Kahuna, this recliner features both heating and massage functions, except at a fraction of the cost.
This is a good massage recliner for those who don’t want to spend more on Kahuna’s extra features such as air massage, zero gravity function, and 3D body scanning. However, this doesn’t mean that the SUNCOO lacks, as you’ll see in our favorite features below.
- The chair is straightforward to assemble. All you really need to do is attack the recliner’s back to its main body, and that’s it.
- The manual reclining doesn’t require a lot of effort to use. When in reclining mode, the footrest will pop up, and its backrest will move forward.
- The massage function uses gentle vibrations to massage your waist and back. It uses eight different nodes to make sure that it hits a broader surface area.
- The heated padding can help reduce your muscle tension. Heat is also known to help your blood circulate, so it always makes for an excellent addition. This is especially useful for colder nights, where you need a bit more warmth while you’re lounging about in your home.
- The pouch and drink holder allows easy access to snacks or some necessities. You can keep several items in the pouch, such as your phone or TV remote control, so you won’t have to get up and get them.
- The 360º swivel base affords a bit of extra mobility. The combination of rocking, swiveling, and reclining makes this recliner pretty adjustable in terms of position.
- The padded armrest and high-back build, make sure that your whole body is supported. Unlike this model, most recliners tend to neglect these areas in terms of support, and you’ll often feel their adverse effects after prolonged use.
Summary: The SUNCOO Massage Recliner makes for a good “affordable” substitute if you want the benefits of a seat with heating and massage functions.
9. DaVinci Piper All-Purpose Upholstered Recliner
The DaVinci piper is made to support both mother and child, so you know who much care is taken with its design.
Aside from its original purpose, it can also act as a good back recliner. If you’re part of a family that’s expecting, we recommend this seat because of the conveniences that it offers.
- The cover is fully washable and durable, so you don’t have to worry about spills and stains. Most recliner upholstery uses materials that are odor-retaining, but Piper’s heather polyester material easily bypasses that annoying factor.
- The 360º swivel base gives you more mobility. This is useful whether you’re caring for a baby or relaxing in your living room since it lets you reach items and surfaces much easier.
- The lumbar cushion offers ample support for your back. One of our pregnant testers loves this feature because she’s been experiencing back pain since her eight-month mark, and standard seats don’t really offer the support that she needs.
- The neutral design looks good in both a nursery or a living room. The simple design ensures that it won’t look off with your furniture, so you can install it in a different place after using it for your nursery.
Summary: The DaVinci Piper was made to support nursing mothers, but it also makes for an excellent recliner with an ergonomic design and covering that’s easy to maintain.
10. Domesis Cortez – Cloth Push Back Recliner Chair
Domesis Cortez gives you a recliner of a very generous size (perfect recliner if you’re a big man or woman).
When not reclined, it looks like a classic club-type recliner chair that gives vintage vibes with its nailhead accents and tanned linen upholstery.
However, don’t let the traditional look fool you since it incorporates a lot of ergonomic features in its design.
- This recliner is designed to fit larger people and occupy as little space as possible. So it’s a good option if you want a recliner that won’t hog your limited floor space.
- Assembling the recliner is very easy. The instructions are straightforward, and we’ve assembled our test unit in just 15 minutes.
- The model has a full reclining angle for maximum comfort. Whether you want to take a nap, watch TV, or read a book, the reclining angle ensures that you’re comfortable regardless. Just push back the seat to activate the reclining feature.
- The whole unit is lightweight and easy to move across different rooms. If you want a recliner that won’t be a permanent room fixture, the Domesiz Cortez is light enough to be easily dragged or carried across a different room.
Summary: We recommend the Domesis Cortez if you want a recliner that can easily be transported through different rooms and a wide reclining range that lets you comfortably lie back down or sit straight up, depending on your current activity.
11. Homall Single PU Leather Recliner
Any back pain sufferer will appreciate the many conveniences this Homall Recliner gives. This standard unit will support your back, neck, head, arms, and legs. It also comes at a very affordable price that can fit most budgets.
- The PU leather covering is easy to clean and maintain. The material feels soft to the touch and resistant to stains and off smells, so little maintenance is required.
- The lightweight frame makes it easy to move along different rooms. This is a necessity if you’ve got a bad hip or waste. You won’t have any trouble moving this unit about if you want to use it somewhere else.
- The larger seat cushion can accommodate bigger individuals. Its armrests are also wide and curved to give ample support. And the inner material uses a high-density sponge that’s comfortable and durable.
- The adjustable footrests to suit your body type. It also features thick padding to give your feet ample support.
Summary: Homall Recliner is an excellent choice for people under 6 feet. If you have trouble lifting heavy objects, this lightweight recliner is easy to move and transfer to different rooms. It is also among most affordable and cheap recliners.
What Are the Main Benefits of Recliners & Recliner Chairs?
Even doctors will not hesitate to tell their patients with back pain to use recliners. Best recliner chairs give a lot of health benefits that will ease your muscle tension and remove the pressure from your spine.
Health professionals will typically tell you to choose a chair recliner chair that you feel most comfortable using. Here are some of the main advantages you’ll get by picking the right chair recliner for your needs:
- They can reduce or even completely eradicate back pain. The lumbar support they provide for your spine is the main reason why more people prefer recliners over regular couches or chairs.
- Massaging recliners take it to the next level and relieve your muscle tension. These technologically-advanced recliners will help your body create endorphins (a pain reliever). They will also help reduce your muscle tension and relieve some of the pain.
- They provide support for your whole body. Unlike your regular seats, most chair recliners will keep your whole body in a comfortable position.
- Heated recliners help improve your blood circulation. This will raise the overall oxygen levels of your body. And by extension, it lowers the chances of you getting heart-related conditions like coronary artery disease, high cholesterol, and heart attacks.
- They can elevate your body to a more comfortable position. Some recliners will help align your spine in a healthy and natural placement.
- They are more versatile than your regular seats. Recliners can be adjusted to suit your current activity by changing the angles depending on your preferred position. Good models will have a wider angle adjustment range.
Summary: Recliners give your whole body enough support to relieve its pressure and provide you with pain relief. They might be a bit more expensive than your conventional chair, but they’re far more versatile and ergonomic.
What Should I Look for When Buying a Recliner?
You know the old saying, “you only spend time with people you enjoy”? This can also apply to furniture. What better way to relax with your favorite show than sitting in a comfortable chair? Even if it’s a recliner, it could be the key to removing yourself from your to-do list and immersing yourself in a fresh scene. When you go furniture shopping, you’ll be faced with many different kinds of seating, from stools to chairs and sofas. Before you spend your hard-earned money, there are a few key questions you’ll need to ask yourself. Is the Recliner Comfortable?
Comfort is a must when buying anything. If the last recliner you sat in only managed to remind you how uncomfortable sitting was, you’re definitely going to be disinterested in this option. Some chairs have arms to support the back, some are adjustable, but make sure that you are comfortable before purchasing. If you just sit back and relax in a chair without having the ability to adjust it, it’s going to be hard to keep your body and your neck straight without getting backache. How Much Should It Be? If you’re in a city, shopping at a big store will be easier. When you are at a smaller boutique, the price tag can get a bit scary. Buying from a large store will likely cost you more than going to a smaller one, but you won’t have the stress of the buying experience. Do you really want to spend a few hundred dollars for a chair that you don’t really need?
What is a Recliner? How to Use It for Back Pain Effectively
These days, doctors will not hesitate to advise that you use a recliner if you experience chronic back pain. Originally, these seats were built with comfort in mind, but newer models will also sport other ergonomic features such as:
- Adjustable angles that let users change the seat to fit their preference and body shape.
- Spine alignment function that helps ease your lower back pain often caused by prolonged standing.
- You are reducing muscle tension by relaxing your body and maintaining a comfortable and supported position.
- Massaging functions to help improve blood circulation and reduce muscle pain.
- Zero gravity function that’s perfect if you’re experiencing pregnancy pains.
Conclusion: Chair Recliners are special seats that are built for long-term comfort and support.
Is Sitting in a Recliner Bad for Your Back?
The National Institute for Health reports that almost 80% of the adult population experience regular back pain. There’s also plenty of evidence that shows these effects to become more and more apparent as we age.
Some people believe that recliners make back problems worse. Are they right? Are stressless recliner chairs good for your back or not?
Recent radiological research suggests that sitting in reclined positions is much healthier for our body’s spine compared to sitting in upright positions. Sitting at a tilted angle puts less pressure on our spine, which equates to back pain relief.
Summary: Many scientific findings conclude that sitting in reclined positions are healthier for our spin compared to sitting in upright positions. So recliners are better for you, even if some assume the opposite.
Best Home Chair for Lower Back Pain (Final Verdict)
In general, recliners provide good support that will greatly benefit anyone who experiences back pain – but choosing the right one for you will give more advantages beyond its regular use.
All of the units we’ve reviewed have been extensively tested, but depending on your needs and preferences, one might suit you better than the other:
- The Homelegance Recliner is an excellent choice for larger individuals who need additional support
- We recommend the DaVinci Piper for pregnant mothers or for people who want a material that’s easy to clean and maintain.
- The La-Z Boy Duncan’s unique shape might take a while to get used to, but many of our testers loved the support that it gives.
Our top choice is the Kahuna Massage Recliner LM-6800 for all of its useful features.
Granted, it might have a higher price point, but you’re investing in a quality unit that offers good body support as well as massage and heating functions to turn any typical day into a mini-vacation.
If you want to avoid the hassle of buying a chair recliner and bringing it home yourself, you can just make your purchases directly online through the manufacturer or a trusted seller like Amazon.
We spend most of our days complaining about our aching backs, but it doesn’t have to be this way. Invest in best recliner chair and experience comfort and support a regular chair can’t give you. If you have severe conditions such as spinal stenosis (spinal column compressing and narrows) or others, please consult with your doctor before using any products listed here!