I’ve been asked numerous times where I stand on the whole best manual vs best power recliner debate. And I always say the same thing: it depends on your preferences.
In this article, we’ll be discussing the ins and outs of manual and electrical recliners and, hopefully, help you decide which is better for you.
What is Power Recliner?
Power recliners are more commonly known as electric recliners or motorized recliners. This could mean that the recliner utilizes one motor or a series of different motors to operate its reclining and other features.
These types of recliners require a power source to function. The motors allow you to easily adjust the comfort level of your reclining chair through a control pad or remote control.
Electric vs Mechanical
So what are the differences? If we put a power vs manual recliners, which would emerge as a victor?
To put it simply, it depends on your preferences. This is where the phrase “to each their own” comes into play.
Both reclining chair types have their own unique points that make them better than the other. Let’s take a quick look at those differences below.
Ease of Operation
If you’re looking for a strictly no-nonsense reclining chair, you’ll find that manual release recliners offer the most straightforward controls.
Usually, manual release recliners come with a release lever and rely on your body weight and motion to determine what reclining position you’d like.
On the other hand, an electric or power reclining chair allows you to recline to specific or unlimited positions with the push of a button.
So, which is better? It depends on your preferences.
- Would you like a leather recliner you can access without the need for electricity? If so, a manual would be better for you.
- Would you like a product that doesn’t require any physical force or motion to recline? Then a power model would be best for you.
- Is power recliner better than manual?
- Do power recliners break down?
Summary: Power recliners are generally easier to operate in terms of the physical strength needed to recline it. That said, some power recliners are not very user-friendly and have a learning curve upon operation. Whereas, manual recliners are generally as straightforward as possible. That said, some manual recliners will need more physical force than others.
Generally, power recliners are more expensive than manual recliners. However, some power recliners are cheaper than manual recliners. It all depends on the quality, design, and functions of a reclining chair.
That said, if you’re looking for a more budget-friendly unit, manual release recliners are a more reasonable option, especially if you don’t suffer from limited mobility or any disabilities.
One thing that sets power recliner manual release recliners apart is their features. These usually come with more high-tech features and adjustments.
Manual, on the other hand, don’t usually come with features like zero-gravity reclining.
Manual models are usually limited to swivel and rocking features on top of the obvious reclining feature. Whereas some electric recliners have parts that can move autonomously.
Summary: These are built to be more straightforward and often don’t have many features that you can find in power recliners. That said, if you’re simply looking for a comfortable chair without all the bells and whistles, a manual release armchair will suffice you.
Are Power Recliners Durable?
Definitely. Power recliners are usually less susceptible to wear and tear because you’re unlikely to exert unnecessary force when operating it.
Their electrical mechanisms are also built to last many years.
That isn’t to say that manual recliners are less durable.
In fact, if you take care of your manual recliner properly, you’re unlikely to encounter any issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Do Reclining Sofas Last?
An average of ten years. Most reclining sofas that are used frequently will not last more than ten years.
How Much Power Does an Electric Recliner Use?
The average model will consume a maximum of 58 watts of energy every time you use it.
Are Power Recliners Safe?
Definitely. However, due to the electrical components, you should definitely ask an expert electrician whether your outlet can handle the power output of your leather armchair.
It’s also advisable that you purchase from a reputable company to make sure your chair does not have any faulty wiring that could cause accidents.
- Sofas are generally more expensive than traditional sofas.
- You cannot install or fix it flush to the wall because you will need to leave room for the electrical components and reclining features.
- It will consume some electricity and could raise your power bills
Which Should You Choose: A Power Recliner or Manual Recliner?
It depends on your needs. I’m not saying that one is better than the other. Both types of recliners have their own advantages and disadvantages.
That said, if you want a more long-lasting armchair that’s easier to operate, power model is definitely the better option for you.
How Long Should a Power Recliner Last?
A lower-end model made by a reputable manufacturer should last over 10 years with no problems.
However, if you do not exercise caution and proper handling, you’re likely to see your recliner gone in a few years.
The Most Common Mistakes People Make
- You are throwing your weight into it. Do not do this under any circumstance. If you’re of limited mobility and have trouble settling yourself on lower surfaces without bouncing on it, invest in a power lift armchair. It will help you seat yourself without strain.
- Keep food and drinks away. This doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed to snack in your armchair or have a sip of water. If you can make sure none of your food or drinks will accidentally spill onto your armchair, then, by all means, eat or drink your heart out. Otherwise, do it somewhere else, so you don’t damage your hardware.
If you’re confused about which recliner type to get, remember that it would depend on your needs and preferences. Here’s a gist of what I discussed above:
- Manual recliners are generally more space-efficient compared to power recliners. This is because some manual units are designed to look sleeker and less bulky. This is only possible if you don’t have the extra motors in the construction.
- Power recliners boast more features compared to manual recliners. Electric recliners can have features like zero-gravity reclining and often come with parts that move independently from its other parts. Manual recliners are usually only able to reach regular reclining features, rocking, gliding and swivel motions. All of which, power recliners can also do.
- Manual recliners are usually cheaper than good power recliners.
- Power recliners tend to last longer than manual recliners.
How hard is it to semi-squat and then relax? Almost all recliners have some types of built in springs to cushion your fall and/or rock you back.
It’s not so difficult to enjoy your drenched steak and beer at the table for ten minutes and return later to your recliner once you’ve finished.
Ultimately, if you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, it will be your best bet.
That said, manual recliners are also ideal if you want a more space-efficient and straightforward unit in your home.
However, if you’re looking for something that’s easier to recline and requires little to no physical effort to operate, it would be ideal.
That said, power recliners also tend to last longer than their traditional counterpart. It also comes with more high-tech features than manual recliners.
Needless to say, whichever you choose, it is a great investment for any homeowner.